Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Mauy Thai

For the days that we are not hiking we (and by "we" I mean "Marco" as I only made it to one lesson!)  are going to Muay Thai. Give the old heart some exercise too.

By now nearly everyone has heard about it. You know its that hard-core marshal arts type thing, right?

Jeez-louise! Is it?

To begin with, we were expected to skip. With a Rope. Laugh if you must, but when was the last time you skipped. With a Rope? I face-planted once or twice, which is not a good way to start the class.

The instructor is young and has all the energy in the world. If we're not skipping, we're running on the spot, if we're not doing that, we're doing push ups or crunchies or a number of other weird things that I can't even name. 

My favourite, of course, was the long and low-legged lunges across the gym with some sweaty co-prisoner on your back. Yuck! & Eina!

There was some punching - which can be fun unless you are the exception to the general rule like I am. (Left & right sit on opposite sides for me, so I was mostly punching the air)


And in any case - a very good friend of mine did Mauy Thai once - not only did he continually come home battered and bruised, but I recall going to one of their competitions and they have to wear silly shorts and I recall some weird plinky-plonky tunes being played at the start of every fight... Nope, this just ain't my idea of a grand time. 

Very good exercise if you don't mind getting the shit kicked out of you.

But I'm a GIRL and I  bruise easily.... (I'm sure there's a song in there somewhere?)

So I'll be off to the gym instead. Some weight training or swimming will do me fine, thanks!

No comments: