Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

And what better place to celebrate it than in Zanzibar?  Last year we spent Valentines Day with Rex & Angelica in Kingston in the UK - movie and a dinner, I recall? 

Well I have to say that Zanzibar beats Kingston (sorry guys - but it's true!)

Today (aside from *celebratingValentine's Day) we have 2 boat dives planned.

The scuba diving in Zanzibar is supposed to be spectacular. See for yourself:




Hopefully by this stage I not only have my little waterproof camera with me, but I also have the right memory in it and batteries that work!

THAT'S WHAT THE BROCHURE SAID AND THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED:

Unfortunately I couldn't do much *celebrating* on Valentine's Day. Thankfully we got the water turned back on and thankfully the room was air-conditioned. I spent most of the day in our room recovering. I could not eat anything; the very sight and smell of food made my stomach turn - which meant that I was a really shitty date. Literally.


There were some other romantic couples who hired some of the Dhow boats for cruises. Very sweet, the boats were decorated with red & white balloons, some of which ended up floating past our room.

The tide changes were pretty huge - over night the water was right up to our balcony. In the pic below, the water would rise to about 1/2 up that coral rock. During the day is went to low tide - low enough to expose this beautiful beach.

The water itself is AMAZING. It's very warm and very salty. It is so clear that we could swim out really far and still be able to make out every grain of sand on the bottom and every little fish, star fish, sea urchin and other little sea creatures in the water.

Due to being sick I forfeited my 2 dives that I had booked for today. Because Marco was looking after me he forfeited his two dives as well. Sux for both of us. The dive company did lend us snorkeling kit instead and we went out in the afternoon when I started feeling a bit better.

No comments: